[wp-hackers] do pages and posts make sense?

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:48:14 GMT 2006

On 5/18/06, Markus Lutzer <m.lutzer at gmx.de> wrote:
> According to discussions in several threads many people would like to
> use categories for Pages. I think that such a feature would allow more
> freedom in the structure of a website. AFAIK it would be easy to
> implement it but could result into problems with category specific
> templates. Is this true and are there other implications? Why can't
> pages belong to categories? Are there any patches or plugins to address
> this issue?

Somebody slap Markus for saying the word "easy" without posting some code. ;-)

Markus, bear in mind the primary reason for pages: people need a unit
of content that lives outside of the chronological structure of the
weblog. Now imagine the category view with some pages mixed in. Where
in the reverse chronological order would you put a page? It doesn't
fit.

It's possible to write a query to get a set of pages and then display
them in some sort of order. The prime example is Manage Pages in the
admin. You get the page titles listed in a hierarchical format. It's
even possible to assign categories to pages in the database.

What remains to be decided:
* Whether it's even a worthwhile feature for WordPress
* How to display a category view of pages
* Whether and how to merge pages and posts in a category view

My answer to 1 is "no" so I haven't spent any time on 2 or 3.

Andy