[wp-hackers] XML import/export in [3769]

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed May 10 20:57:25 GMT 2006

I finally wrote this long-awaited feature while on the plane from Dublin
to Atlanta. It's in "works for me" stage, but I think it could use a ton
of testing and ideas.

The goals? An easy way to move pages, posts, comments, and postmeta
between WordPress blogs without doing a lossy export to the MT format
and back.

It uses RSS2 + a made up wp: namespace. I basically just mapped fields
in our DB to XML.

Import has been moved under "manage" since it's really not a top-level
priority, and there is now an "export" submenu which downloads the XML
export of your blog. WordPress is now an option under importing.

I'd love for people to bang on this, try to break it, see how big a blog
they can test it on, and generally kick the tires.

Still deciding on the name...

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com