[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Joey B tunicwriter at gmail.com
Wed May 10 04:51:55 GMT 2006

On 5/9/06, Austin Matzko <if.website at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> > It's generally complimentary, but raises the oft-repeated point that
> > people get scared by <?php ... ?> even though most templating systems
> > are functionally equivalent to PHP.
>
> Are there studies that indicate that templating systems like MT's
> actually are easier to use than PHP?  Considering how most people on
> the street are baffled even by HTML, I wonder if <?php the_title(); ?>
> is really that much scarier than <MTEntryTitle$>. How many more people
> are going to start editing their themes because they can use the
> latter instead of the former?

I don't think many. It seems to me that the WP templating system is
already simple. I honestly don't see what's so scary about <?php ..
?>. Even when I knew next to nothing about php, a couple php tags
didn't scare me off from theme-ing my site. If it's what I have to do,
it's what I have to do. And if people know enough to be editing or
making themes, they shouldn't be scared. The most common template tags
are documented well enough on the Codex.

It may provide for a marginal amount of crossovers, but that's
marginal. Of course, someone with a custom theme in MT doesn't want to
go through all that trouble of re-editing and it would be convenient.

It's a neat idea, but I think it would be best kept to plugins.

--
Joey Brooks
Milk Carton Designs || milkcartondesigns.com