[wp-hackers] Inline documentation

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:12:20 GMT 2006

On 3/30/06, Alex King <lists at alexking.org> wrote:
> I think the conversation should change to: What is the best way to
> create and maintain inline documentation if it won't be checked into
> core.

I thought of this,and can't think of any automated way of syncing with
svn while preserving the comments on a local copy. I spent a half hour
researching if svn can be taught to ignore comments when updating the
checked out code, but came short of useful info.

If you, or indeed anyone else knows of or can devise a way to "svn up"
while ignoring local comments, please list it out here. Once we have
that, we can set up a doc repo for the source, and get phpdoc and
whatever else running off of that repo.

> My recommendation is that the documentation effort be revived,
> perhaps on a local branch that someone is willing to maintain, and
> that the finished documentation be presented to WP for consideration
> when it is complete.

I had mentioned something similar earlier in this thread, that be a
different repository to develop docs on, and once it is mature enough,
to merge the docs with the main tree. But I got no response.

I can handle the maintanence of the doc repo, or at least hand someone
the keys to the setup once I have it set up on my server. I foresee
multiple key-holders to avoid bottlenecks.

Thanks for bringing this up again, Alex,

Carthik.