[wp-hackers] Porting Wordpress to PostgreSQL

Martin mgonzo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:45:09 GMT 2006

Don't know too much about the internals of postgres query caching but I do
know that I like the end result. =)

I am in a similar boat as the others as far as why I want to use postgres,
it's what we have at the office. We are phasing mysql completely out and
wordpress its one of the last applications left. I could go on about why I
like postgres over mysql but as mentioned that's kinda pointless in this
case as I'm not developing against it.

But I can speak to this, "I can't imagine that the effort to port to another
SQL dialect would be cheaper than throwing hardware at the deployment."
It's back to the standards thing. It's not so much that we would be porting
to another specific SQL dialect, but instead be porting to a portable SQL
dialect.
Port once use on many different systems, Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, MSSQL.
Then let your customers choose what to run your application on. It's a nice
feature that allows for more flexibility, it's not really a performance
thing (although I'm sure some would argue otherwise=] ).

I would be very willing to contribute some time to this effort, by writing
SQL, PHP code and/or documentation.