[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Mar 10 21:14:44 GMT 2006

Craig wrote:
> On 3/10/06, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, exactly. The testers list. We got about 2 replies to Ryan's
>>"2.02 RC" post. Testing without feedback is no testing at all.
>
> Where's the guidelines on testing? What was I supposed to be looking for? I
> could have wasted my time and that of the devs etc., by looking for
> something they weren't even interested in. This was a security release, and
> I had no knowledge or way of testing the effectiveness of the fixes.

Do your usual routine. Does it crash and burn?  Test the bugs on the
list I sent.  How do those look?

Just having people load it up and run through their usual routine is
helpful.  People sitting around waiting to be told what to do is not at
all helpful.

> You can't cop out and put the blame on the testers, David. That's a pile of
> moose candy. Tell me what to test for, and what kind of feedback you want,
> and I'll do it. I assumed, and wrongly given your comments, that "no news
> was good news."

Load it, kick the tires, does anything break.  Free form testing is
better than doing nothing.

So, somebody write some test plans already.

Ryan