[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 21:45:23 GMT 2006

On 3/4/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all hackers and lurkers (I know you're out there),
>
> With the growing frequency of topics that are frustrated with the way
> WordPress is currently moving, especially this post from the forums
> list ( http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-forums/2006-March/001532.html
> ), I'm growing curious as to how the hackers community as a whole
> feels, so I'd like to throw up a little survey, and find out what some
> people honestly think.
>
> - How do you think the Development model of WordPress is now?
> What are its strongpoints? What are its flaws? What do you think should be
> changed and what should be left the same?
> - What are your views on project's leadership? Are they steering us in
> the right direction, or are we going downhill? Is community feedback
> weighted enough with personal views of the developers? Are we
> interacting with people outside the coding community enough to get a
> fair view of what could be the best for everyone?
> - Do we get too little, just the right amount, or too much feedback
> from the developers on things discussed on this list and elsewhere? Do
> you think this has a positive or negative impact on the project as a
> whole?

I wish people were, on the whole, friendlier, the way they used to be,
more considerate of others, more tolerant, and less prone to jumping
to conclusions. I am not talking about developers, or users, or any
subset of people. Just everyone, in general. For someone who helps out
in his spare time, having to put up with personal comments of an evil
nature, slander, indifference and having one's motives questioned
isn't very nice. I have been through those things before. It slowly
takes the fun out of participating, you know, and you tend to think of
something as a chore. That's the point where I'd stop contributing.
That point could be different for different people, but people, please
be nice to each other, and more tolerant.
The forums stopped being a nice place, and these days I sometimes find
the tone and voice vicious over there. The #wordpress chat room wasn't
as obscene, or filled with inane oneliners.

The number of people who actively contribute are far more now, and
that is really cool. May they be recognized and appreciated, so they
get encouraged to do more.

Yo, Skippy! Hang in there. Don't leave :)

Carthik.