[wp-hackers] Macworld UK April '06 WordPress 2.0 Review

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 8 23:24:21 GMT 2006

First off, I'm really not sure where to post this, so sorry if this
is the wrong place.

For once, I think their pros/cons summarise the (short) review well.

Pros: Free; easy installation; new user-friendly text editor.
Cons: New text editor doesn't work in Safari; some older plugins and
themes aren't compatible

Only one mistake I've noticed, "Even when the basic software is free,
advance features, such as password protection for individual posts,
can incur a charge."

To summarise the article (just one point per paragraph):

- Other third-party hosted blogging solutions, can be costly
- WordPress, open source, highly configurable and free
- "For this major new release of WordPress the Developers have
focused their efforts on the area you'll spend most of your time in —
the writing interface"
- "TinyMCE JavaScript technology"
- Cut and Paste from other pages and retain style
- Lack of support for Safari and older versions of Opera, though you
can still type HTML
- Previewing posts frame
- Changes making it easier for plugin authors, although many of the
older plugins/templates won't work

- Conclusion: "WordPress is one of the best blogging  solutions on
the market. It's highly configureable, gives you complete control
over your blog and best of all it's total free. The new text-editing
tools make it well worth upgrading."

I'd've posted the whole article, if it weren't for copyright concerns.

- Geoffrey Sneddon