[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future [WPCE]

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Mar 8 19:04:47 GMT 2006

Rich Bowen wrote:
> When forks are viewed as a negative thing (as they seem to be, for some
> reason, in the Wordpress world) then they are viewed with suspicion, and
> as a threat. I think that's a very unhealthy view of forks.

WordPress itself is a fork, and in the past we've offered hosting and
support to people forking WP. At the end of the day the more OS code
being created the better. Most people care about the product, not the
process, and what I love about open source is the best ideas always
survive. Forking is a necessary element of that evolution.

I think any negative connotation to forking comes from the anti-social
nature of people who fork without trying to work with the existing
community, and from users who worry about fragmentation of what already
may be scarce resources.

I've heard rumors that WordPress developers prefer to spoon, but I'm not
aware of any conclusive research into the matter.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com