[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future [WPCE]

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Wed Mar 8 14:38:37 GMT 2006

> The idea is not a fork.  Rather it is parallel development free of the
> funnel approach which has some folks feeling slighted or restricted.

That's called a fork. Fork is not a dirty word. Forks are almost always
good things, if they are viewed in the right light. The purpose of a
fork is to explore new ideas. Forks either succeed or fail. If they
succeed, they either replace the original, or they merge back in, or
they become an independent entity. Having a permanently parallel,
permanently dependent branch seems like a rather unhealthy thing.

When forks are viewed as a negative thing (as they seem to be, for some
reason, in the Wordpress world) then they are viewed with suspicion, and
as a threat. I think that's a very unhealthy view of forks.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen at rcbowen.com