[wp-hackers] 2.next - plugin options

Gustavo Barrón cicloid at idealabs.tk
Wed Mar 8 11:48:21 GMT 2006

Mark Jaquith escribió:
> On Mar 8, 2006, at 1:17 AM, Kaf Oseo wrote:
>
>> There's a discussion on the forums right now about how best to
>> handle the increasing use of option pages by plugins, which is
>> beginning to crowd the sub menus for some:
>>
>> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/63824
>>
>> I've previously brought up the suggestion Matt Read makes in that
>> thread, which is to provide a *master* plugin options page plugin
>> devs can hook into when only one-two settings are needed. However,
>> I'm wondering if a better alternative would be to add a mechanism
>> where a plugin's options is linked from its entry under Plugins.
>
> There is some talk of moving some core items under "Manage" up a
> level, which would free up more room on that Submenu.
>
> I think that relegating plugin options to a special plugin menu is
> unintuitive.  For example, see where Akismet's menu item is located.
> The beauty of WordPress is that it can be so drastically altered or
> enhanced with plugins.  Plugin menus should be in natual places.  The
> vast majority should be under Options or Manage.  If you're changing
> the way the plugin functions, changing its settings, it should go
> under Options.  If you're manipulating data in some way, it should go
> under Manage.  A user shouldn't have to think "hm, is this core or
> additional functionality?" when using the menu system.
>
> I think that the Plugins submenu should be restricted to things having
> to do with plugin management... like editing, activating, downloading,
> upgrading etc.

And why not giving plugin developers the option of a hook, to add
themselfs to the already subpages on the Options menu, like Reading
(there i will  put the gravatar options at the bottom), or WP-Cache to
go to Reading.

Maybe on plugins handling data like WP-Backup, having is on subpage
under manage, is a good location, but for options, it could be added to
the already and logical options sub-pages.