[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

steve caturan scaturan at negimaki.com
Sat Mar 4 23:30:26 GMT 2006

greetings,

i'm more of a lurker, not a programmer or a web developer. :)

i think the WordPress platform would benefit if it were to undergo a
security audit by an independent contractor like Gulf Tech Research
and/or Netcraft - these folks have eyes that are trained differently
(imho), unmatched experience & have tools that can point out weak points
that can be exploited and overlooked - no, not to undermine the existing
efforts being made. not necessarily a line-by-line code auditing like
the OpenBSD project does.

also, I'm wondering if the project has plans to release patch files as
an alternative to downloading entire packages just to get a bump from,
say 2.0 to 2.0.1 - a simple patch -p0 -s < patchfile would really help
speed up the process for those mainting 100s of WordPress blogs, like
myself. why does WordPress have to include *new* features for revisions?
why not just release something like 2.0.1 to address bug fixes, nothing
more?

i also think the WordPress project should maintain both development &
support channels, separately. and that more core developers & testing
folks should be part of it, at least the ones that can make a genuine
commitment, not just lip service.

in closing, i believe the WordPress codex is one of the best. props to
all the contributors. :) Podz, looking forward to your planned
contributions to Gallery 2 codex, another project I monitor.