[wp-hackers] AJAX

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Jun 29 21:16:55 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com [mailto:wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com] On Behalf Of Brian Layman
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 12:10 AM
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Subject: RE: [wp-hackers] AJAX

> User input to the server, output from the server to the user, with no
It seems to me that a proper internet client should deliver that behavior without any special client side information.  On most websites, blogs in particular, when a page is reloaded the client should update only what has changed.

Just as in old school computer animation optimizations where you only erase what changed and redraw those parts, the internet client should be able to do a diff of the last page and the current page and only redraw the altered areas.  If the client observes DOM, it's already half way there.  Maybe now that AJAX is giving people an idea of what a smooth interface looks like, and broadband allows fast transfer of the page source, we'll start to see some browsers start to come with that functionality.

In the meantime, I think I prefer the static interface on the admin pages by default.  I will wait until such a thing as a WP-Admin theme becomes available that optionally adds Ajax to the interface in a easily downgradeable fashion.