[wp-hackers] Hello Noobie!

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Thu Jun 29 11:55:06 GMT 2006

___/ On Thu 29 Jun 2006 09:02:06 BST, [ Andy Skelton ] wrote : \___

> I don't mean to revive some old discussion about whether we should
> remove Hello Dolly from core. Opinion on that will be off-topic on
> this thread. Rather, I want to discuss an alternative set of lyrics.

I quite likd(d) Hello Dolly, but I must admit that it is/was
impractical.  It  serves/ed as a good template  for  plug-in
creators  nonetheless. We'll always have Matt's Jazz  Quotes
page, even if it gets dropped from the trunk distribution...

> Replace the Broadway kitsch with WordPress tips for new users and
> activate the plugin during installation. Benefits are too obvious to
> list. If it buzzes in somebody's bonnet, deactivation is two clicks
> away. Translation will spread the benefits even wider.

I'm  thinking  along the lines of balloons (tooltips).  This
seems to be the direction that KDE 3.4+ has taken; these can
be  disabled too. To match the beauty of CSS+JS in WP 2.0.x,
why  not  use MIT's nicetitles for translucent  popups  with
rounded corners?

> I've started a wiki page to collect tips:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Tips
>
> If this page fills up with short, helpful nuggets of advice or
> information I'll remix the plugin and we can try it out on new users
> by posting a download link in the forums.

People  will rarely read manuals. Some like to embark on the
unknown by doing prior reading, but most just learn by trial
and  error.  So I think an assistive yet obtrusive tips  are
the best way to go.

Just my humble opinion,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
12:45pm  up 62 days 17:48,  14 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.51, 0.32