[wp-hackers] Inconsistant actions, duplicated code, complicated plugins

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Jun 24 19:45:51 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Sure, this is nice, but for fatal errors only, and maybe even overkill.

Agreed.  In many cases not only do I not want to die(), but I might want
to display my own full response, redirect to somewhere else, or allow
execution to continue with minor changes.

This isn't to disparage the error class, which is cool.  I think it
might be generally better design to have the software do something when
an error occurs other than just display the error.  In that respect, it
might be a good idea to be able to hook error events in the error class
so that plugins could handle errors instead.  It's possible that the
error class already does this - I haven't looked into it too deeply.

Nonetheless, I don't think augmenting the error class is the answer to
aborting actions from inside hooks, unless there is something
significant I'm missing.

Owen