[wp-hackers] Hack to prevent 404s

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Tue Jun 13 17:26:25 GMT 2006

On 6/14/06, Brian Layman <Brian at thecodecave.com> wrote:

> Is there any reason why I should not do this?  I don't think the speed hit
> will be that bad.

A reason not to use that specific code is that a plugin will be much
easier to maintain.

It's generally considered a bad idea to use more than one permalink
structure because it reduces pagerank. Search engines don't like
duplicated content. It may also be confusing for users. Serving 301
redirects is actually the correct approach, though there's no reason
why they couldn't be handled automagically by a WordPress plugin
instead of manually added to your .htaccess.