[wp-hackers] anyone looked at Chameleon closely?

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Jun 7 00:03:55 GMT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 7:41 PM, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> Does anyone reckon it's ok with the GPL to purchase a copy of
> Chameleon and apply some changes to the WordPress core? I mean, like
> Matt going and shipping some Chameleon code with WP2.1 or something?

That would certainly be okay.  GPL is viral, so their WP-modification
is GPL licensed, which means that just as they are licensed to take
our modifications and apply them to their code, we can take their
modifications and apply them to our code.  That is, assuming we can
get out hands on the code.  As was said earlier in the thread, we
don't have a right to the source code unless we buy the product (and,
of course, PHP is only source code, so once you buy it, you have the
source code.)  You could also try and convince one of their customers
to give you the code, but you probably won't have much luck with
that.  Contact them and ask about pricing.  If it is reasonably
affordable, a few people could chip in and snag a copy for comparison
purposes.  I'd keep your WP involvement a secret, though.  They'll
probably balk if they know what you're about to do (not that I blame
them, it'd hurt their bottom line).

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/