[wp-hackers] anyone looked at Chameleon closely?

Ryan Scheuermann ryan at concept64.com
Tue Jun 6 17:19:45 GMT 2006

Yeah, but check out the Datasheet PDF, the Plugin Management screenshot
says "Plugins extend and expand the functionality of Wordpress..."  "If
something goes wrong with a plugin and you can't use Wordpress..."

Doesn't look like they're working that hard to hide the Wordpress core.

I've developed something like this for my own company, but I'm not
arrogant enough to take credit for something I didn't write myself.  My
clients know they are getting a modified and extended version of the WP
core.  And they're made aware of the fact that the code is open-source
and licensed GPL.

Doug is right though, they don't have to release the source to the
public, just their customers.  And nothing in the GPL says you can't
charge for it.

Their "Menu Manager" and "Ecommerce" plugins are exactly what I'm in the
middle of working on.  I'm a little bummed they beat me to it.  :-)
They are smart in making it a completely streamlined and integrated
package.  Often times trying to use an independently developed WP plugin
for professional clients produces poor results, if you know what I mean.

Gotta give them props, though.

Best regards,

Ryan Scheuermann

--