[wp-hackers] "For the rest of us" theme

Dave W dabbaking at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 00:04:30 GMT 2006

I don't have a mobile phone with web access, but I gather that the
javascript support might be lackluster (I'm not sure about this though).
Where specifically would the ajax be implemented? Some popular services are
already in use in some templates. Like some automatically put the "digg
this" and technorati tags in.

A lot of the services can be built in using widgets (adsense setup etc). I
think the theme package should come with the widget plugin and then when the
template is activated, it checks to see if the plugin is activated. I think
that widgets should become part of the wordpress core, but I know everyone
will disagree because we don't want to bloat wordpress with code.

On 7/30/06, Charles <lists06 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> > So, basically what you're saying is that you wan't a new default
> > wordpress design?
>
> I hope to get together with a couple other people to create a very
> customizable, very easy-to-use new theme that does everything the average
> enthusiast would want to do without having to resort to editing text
> files.
>
> It wouldn't be created under the assumption that it /would/ replace the
> default theme, but it has to be more than good enough that it could.
>
> > And then added customizable features like the widgets or how you can
> > change the header color in Kubrick?
>
> Widget support would be a basic requirement, as would the ability to
> customize all theme colors/gradients and images without having to resort
> a text editor.  Some other internal guidelines off the top of my head:
>
>         - Great user experience for authors and readers
>                 - Ajax everywhere it improves the UE
>                 - Excellent support for mobile clients, too
>         - Allow authors to create radically-different looks/feels without
> editing code
>         - Support for popular services built-in
>                 - FeedBurner, AdSense, YPN, Digg, Reddit, etc.
>
> As far as I can tell, there's nothing that offers the experience that I'd
> personally like to see.
>
> -- Charles
>    <http://playbacktime.com/>

Dave W