[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 14:54:52 GMT 2006

> I would think that at the very least, the plugin could be marked
> unstable similar to many linux distributions. The end user could then
> choose to install unstable packages at their own risk.

That's not bad:
"This plugin hasn't been verified working on this version of WP. Do you want
to continue?"

But, the problem is when you _upgrade_ to a new version of WP, and find your
old plugins suddenly disabled - that's what I don't like.

WP has come a _long_ way since the 1.5 days, we're reaching out more, and
plugin devs are more aware of changes and less 'lazy.'
I don't see the need to fix something that isn't broken. Let plugin authors
verify a plugin is broke.

Now, there -is- another option, but I don't like it: a central server. But
the whole goal of RDF over XML-RC was to avoid centralized nonsense and
delays. I'd rather we just took our chances with only marking verified broke
plugins as such, and left it otherwise untouched. This solution is far more
elegant, much cheaper, and not dependant on one server - remember what
happened when wp-plugins.org went down?

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/