[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

jason switzer jswitzer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 14:45:33 GMT 2006

On 7/30/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:

> More importantly, this isn't going to happen on visiting the admin center,
> and won't happen for all plugins at once. It'll simply be "check this
> plugin
> once a week" kind of thing, and use the wp-cron for the checking - so
> you'll
> just visit the plugin page and "OMG, SK2 has a new version! Cool, let's OK
> the update..."

The last thing I want is some cron job checking for updates. I would be nice
if it could be kick-started from an admin page similar to the database
backup. Is wp-cron another plugin? If so, I would advise against relying on
another plugin to do something you can do yourself in a different way that
makes more sense to the end user.