[wp-hackers] 2 URLs 1 WordPress install

Francis Reyes Francis.Reyes at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:58:24 GMT 2006

You should look into how Debian manages this. In summary, multiple
blogs are hosted off the same server and same wp-install, by
rewriting wp-config.php as

<?php
/** WordPress's Debianised default master config file
Please do NOT edit and read about how the configuration works in the
README.Debian
**/

require_once('/etc/wordpress/config-'.strtolower($_SERVER
['HTTP_HOST']).'.php');

define('ABSPATH', '/usr/share/wordpress/');

require_once(ABSPATH.'wp-settings.php');

?>

where config-host.php contains database information for each
individual blog.

I have done this with ruckerz.oldbrownshoe.org,
sara.oldbrownshoe.org, etc.

I've further added plugins to customize the theme directories (so
each blog can manage their own themes), cache, uploads.
Unfortunately, so many plugin authors hard code wp-content/plugins
that each blog cannot have their own plugins .

My life would be much easier if I could filter the location of wp-
content.

The obvious benefit (at least from an administrator's point of view)
is that I can upgrade all my WP installations via apt-get.

If you're interested in this setup, e-mail me privately.

FR