[wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Tue Jul 25 14:16:19 GMT 2006

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:28:46 +0300
> From: Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net>
>>

> Have you seen Bad Behaviour?
> It's a plugin for WordPress that does just that, except instead of
> blacklisting the IPs themselves, it blacklists their _methods_ by
> blocking certain UAs, access to files, etc... all from WP itself.
>
> Together with Spam Karma 2 (and it's own Akismet plugin for SK2),
> you can blacklist the IPs _and_ the methods of accessing the blog
> by spammers, _and_ take advantage of Akismet's spam filters....
> bullet-proof (for now).

That's a cool technique, but works on a per-blog basis. My "add to
firewall" method protects all blogs on a shared server with 70+
accounts, whether they're Movable Type or WP or other, and also
reduces email spam in cases where the spammy IP is generating both
weblog and email spam. Spam to one blog results in protection for all
of them, with the lowest impact on server performance possible. I
know  it's not for everyone, but works well for admins of shared
servers.

> From: "steve caturan" <scaturan at negimaki.com>
>
> said, it's like a DDOS attack, none-stop across several hundred sites,
> but that's reality. and being that someone responsible for those sites
> mean, i have to ensure they're protected appropriately.

Not to mention the responsibility of keeping server loads down, which
IMO is even more critical than keeping spam out of individual blogs.

Scot