[wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Mon Jul 24 15:45:36 GMT 2006

>> Or, do we use spam comment requests whenever we can, and if no spam
>> requests come in on the schedule, default back to a normal web user's
>> request?
>> Just throwing in my thoughts...
>I was mostly kidding, although the same perils await new blogs if we
>were to use the robots.txt method, as Google, et al. have to know about
>a blog to index it in the first place.
>Using wayward requests to things like favicon.ico, robots.txt or the
>comments form might be a way to harness the "energy" of spammers and
>search engines to make our lives a lot easier - think of it as applying
>some thermodynamics to make everything work better.
>Harness the entropy, don't fight it!

Exactly! I didn't think of the spam idea since my newest blog is crawled way
more often than it is spammed - I'm sure that ratio will reverse itself -
but I like it - Especially tying it into an Akismet result, though that is a
plugin that is not always activated.

And as long as we are being semi serious about this, I would not include
FavIcon requests in the list of triggers...but 404s Sure!

If we do revert back to a user triggered event (whatever tag is chosen),
should registered users (with saved cookies) be excluded?  Thus you would
get an additional benefit for being a registered used of each blog?

Also, RE: the 30-60 ping lag - Is there a way to further break this up?
Stop after 10 seconds (variable) and process the remaining pings after the
next trigger event?  Perhaps in some situations that would mean only 1 ping
is processed, but if we find a trigger that occurs often, no one will take
the whole weight of a 60 second ping process on their shoulders.