[wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 16:23:40 GMT 2006

On 7/22/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> > Its not the blog owner that has to wait, though. It is an unsuspecting
> > end user, who can be hit with 20-60 second wait times. Just search the
> > WP support forums for problems with posting taking a long time.
>
> I'm going to go _really_ off topic here, but _there_ are fixes for that, and that _is_ one plugin that should be incorporated as a WP fix in 2.1.
>
> I completely forgot about this issue because I have this wonderful plugin installed, and though I ping 6 different RPC servers (the really slow pingomatic included!), posts take no time at all:
>
> Whaddya know! You're the author of this plugin, Robert! http://somethingunpredictable.com/wp-no-ping-wait/
>
> So, yeah, thanks for writing it :D, and if this is implemented in WP 2.1, the issue your talking about above _won't_ exist, and end users will (not) notice _milliseconds_ publish times.....
>
> Seeing as you're the author you should know that =P

Seeing as how I'm the author, I should know very well that this uses
the spawned execute-pings.php which can only run for the blog poster
after publish. When future posting, you have no guarantee that the
first person to visit after the future time will be the same person
who wrote the post, more likely it will be someone visiting the blog.
If we were to ping upon publish, we'd get a kickback from people who
found their blogs blacklisted from ping services for sending out pings
to 404s, and the same with search engines.

The thing is, the ping times still take just as long, even with that
plugin. Its a percieved time vs actual time issue.

--
--Robert Deaton