[wp-hackers] No More Link Categories?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Jul 19 00:02:29 GMT 2006

R.J. Kaplan wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Ryan Boren wrote:
>
>> We filter them to accommodate those who don't want to see cats that
>> are used only for posts on their links screen.
>
> So to accommodate and minimize confusion to some, you end up confusing
> the others. may I propose adding some sort of indicator in the
> categories list, allowing a user to turn on/off links in that category
> in a simple manner?

I'd rather just have a "Show all categories" button in the cat select
box on the edit post and link screens.  By default, the edit link screen
  shows only cats that have a link already assigned.  If you want to use
a category not listed, right now you can type the cat name in and hit
"Add" to make it show in the list.  Adding a "Show all" button would
save some typing when selecting an already existing cat.  Note that once
a cat has a link assigned to it, it will show in the default list.

In our observations, users rarely bother with Manage->Categories.  They
create new categories via the on-the-fly "Add" button on the edit post
and edit link pages.  Once a category is added via "Add" and assigned to
a post or link, it will show up in the appropriate list from there on
out.   If someone wants to use the same cat for both a post and a link,
they simply do separate Adds as they create posts and links. It's all
done inline with the primary tasks -- creating post and links.  The
downside is that Add requires JS.  Having a non-JS means of showing all
cats in the cat select list would be nice.

Ryan