[wp-hackers] No More Link Categories?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Jul 18 17:03:37 GMT 2006

Brian Layman wrote:
> Part of Mr. Kaplan's confusion is from the fact is that 2.1 says that there
> is no such thing as "link category" yet the code is acting as if there is.

There are categories that contain links, categories that contain posts,
and categories that contain both.

> If categories ARE categories ARE categories, shouldn't they act the same on
> all the screens and all be listed in the category box?

We filter them to accommodate those who don't want to see cats that are
used only for posts on their links screen.

> If you want to keep the concept of link categories, then add a key field to
> the table that says which CategoryType, each category is.  Otherwise, they
> can't be the same AND different without confusing the users.  And yes that
> means adding hierarchy support to links/bookmarks/the blogroll whatever.

On Manage->Categories, a dropdown filter might be nice.

Show categories that contain [Posts|Links|Posts & Links]

Perhaps something similar on the category selection box in the edit post
and link pages.

Ryan