[wp-hackers] IRC Problems

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 02:23:52 GMT 2006

On 7/17/06, Tony <rollinthundaone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to see io_error, masquerade, and tunicwriter as three people
> who have access to ops.
>
>  > Serious trolls, people with botnets, etc need to
>  > be handled on the Freenode level otherwise it's like irritating a wasp
>  > with a piece of paper.
>
> In the long term, yes, Freenode needs to be involved.  But I can't
> describe how frustrating it is to get a hold of a freenode staffer in a
> good amount of time - last time I tried when #wordpress was trolled, it
> took about 5 minutes of flooding to get a hold of someone who could
> actually do something, and I think in the end it turned out to be lilo.
>
> We _need_ an ops dude in there to temporarily +m until a freenode
> staffer can be contacted, or +b if it's an isolated troller.

Let me also note, that I have been asked by freenode staffers to not
involve them with some of the issues in the #wordpress channel in the
past that obviously need attention. A single troll posting nasty links
was one example, where a freenode staffer asked me (albiet politely)
to leave those sorts of things to the channel administrators, since
such actions aren't quite naughty enough to earn a server or
network-wide ban.

--
--Robert Deaton