[wp-hackers] IRC Problems

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 17:02:59 GMT 2006

On 7/17/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Anthony Cole wrote:
> > Just this morning, we had a lively bunch of about five from the GNAA
> > (troll group, google it) come in and just start DCC'ing everyone with an
> > exploit, and it took me forever to get ahold of someone who could help.
>
> This is the perfect example of something that cannot be handled by a
> channel op effectively. Serious trolls, people with botnets, etc need to
> be handled on the Freenode level otherwise it's like irritating a wasp
> with a piece of paper.

Still, having ops to keep the amount of links to GNAA scare tactics
pages or similar while a freenode admin is being contacted is better
than allowing the active users to be exposed to that kind of garbage.
At least with ops the amount would be decreased greatly and the rest
of the IRC users get the image that something is being done.

--
--Robert Deaton