[wp-hackers] IRC Problems

Anthony Cole spartan.ii at mac.com
Sun Jul 16 21:55:47 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm new to this list, but allow me to introduce myself. I've been
hanging around in #wordpress for a while now, and I'm pretty active
in those parts. A few of you probably know me, but more or less, I'm
kind of new.

Now, over the past few months, something has gone horribly horribly
wrong. As the reputation and size of the WordPress irc channel has
grown, so has the need for moderation. The troll average has gone
from every few months to every few weeks on average now. It's a total
mess when they come in, because photomatt isn't usually around or
tells us to just ignore them. Heck, I've even gotten lilo involved
and I have him as saying that the channel policies we have are
completely opposite of the freenode policies. photomatt told me that
operators aren't meant to babysit channels, which, in a sense they
are. The policy of freenode isn't not to have operators at all, it's
just not to flash their operator privileges. We need to have some
policy or appoint some operators to do something about this, because
it's getting more and more out of hand.

Just this morning, we had a lively bunch of about five from the GNAA
(troll group, google it) come in and just start DCC'ing everyone with
an exploit, and it took me forever to get ahold of someone who could
help. And there have been countless others as well. The karma feature
was disabled on wpbot because of a 13 year old ADD spoiled brat with
a Macbook Pro who kept bragging and eventually discovered the karma
feature. And there have been more before that that deserved to be
kicked.

I know this has been beaten to death time and time before, but
something needs to be done about this once and for all. The wordpress
irc channel is a trivial part of the wordpress community.

Regards,
Anthony Cole
aka lightdifference.