[wp-hackers] Coding style

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jul 4 12:26:18 GMT 2006

Rob Miller wrote:

> Why not just use a text editor that lets you change the width of tabs? I
> use SciTE, and my indentation settings are:
>
> Indent width: 4
> Tab width: 4
> Use tabs: yes

Because we don't just work on one project and every project has
different rules for this. Some projects are set up for 2 spaces per tab,
some for 4, some per 8. A few IDEs let you set per-project preferences
for this (Eclipse comes to mind) but that's rare, and little known
nonetheless.

Tabs are one of many practices that work just fine for a single
programmer working on a single project, but simply do not scale to
multiple programmer projects.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!