[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Scott johnson fuzzygroup at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 11:06:39 GMT 2006

Two thoughts from someone who built a feed search engine and did the XSLT /
CSS thing:

It really did help cut down on support queries. I manned the support "lines"
before and after as I always did and I saw a marked difference.

+1 on deprecating feed: It makes links to feeds non clickable for most users
(example - I use a web based aggie so I can't even click on many wordpress
feeds to see them when I need to. ).

*ducks* because he knows that this is controversial.

Scott

On 1/29/06, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/27/06, Rob <powzor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Aggregators will
> > obviously ignore XSLT, since if they do display feed data visually it
> > will usually be in a uniform way, either through their own XSLT or
> > through other methods.
>
> Aggregators do currently ignore XSLT, but visual styling is only one
> application. There could potentially be a lot of utility. If a
> document in an aggregator-unknown XML format includes reference to an
> XSLT stylesheet, that could provide the translation necessary into one
> of the formats the agg *does* know (this is pretty much the idea
> behind microformats/GRDDL).
>
> So I think it would be very wrong to assume aggregrators will never
> use XSLT and close the door on possible syndicate/aggregate
> applications just to make WP's feed look a bit prettier when displayed
> through a degenerate user agent. I don't think this will be problem,
> just that any visual styling XSLT ref will need to be clearly
> identifiable as such (and I will need to read the specs very soon...)
>
> > Seriously, including some pretty XSLT does nothing to affect the
> > usability of the feeds; those technologies that don't support it, either
> > through incompetence (like Amaya) or deliberately (like aggregators)
> > will simply ignore it. It would, however, provide a significant benefit
> > to most users, who would rather be confronted by a nice message when
> > they click a feed link, not a bunch of XML that makes them think they've
> > broken something.
>
> I think your basic conclusion is probably right - that there's nothing
> to lose here. Even if only 50% of HTML browsers get the benefit of the
> styling, that's still an improvement over 100% seeing raw XML (or
> CSS-styled XML).
>
> > I can't see why compatibility is an issue at all.
>
> There's no answer to that.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.
>

> --
>
> http://dannyayers.com

J. Scott Johnson
Ookles launches 2/28/06 - have you signed up yet?
new startup: http://ookles.com/
blog: http://fuzzyblog.com/
podcast: http://techwarstories.com/
fuzzygroup at gmail.com