[wp-hackers] forum integration

John Mulholland johnmulholland at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 28 10:00:39 GMT 2006

Hello,

My wp is becoming increasingly important to me, but I still find myself
posting on a lot of forums. So I have been thinking a lot lately about
how wp could be used to integrate with various message boards. Would it
be possible to hack a plugin together that would do the following;

1. when posting to a forum, also post to wp
2. when a reply to post on forum is made, wp updates comments into
threads accordingly.
3. wp notification of posts of interest

This would of course need some hacking of forum software, but in theory
it should be possible. I am thinking of a -also post to blog- checkbox
type function, so people can opt in. Although I am not sure what the
situation is with smf, phpbb, and vbulletin hooks.

If blogs really are the simplest way to realise cultural capital into
filthy money, then it would be great to have a central place for forum
posts - regardless of which forum they are posted in.

Is this a complete non starter? If not, is anyone interested?

Regards,
John