[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:16:24 GMT 2006

On 1/27/06, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/01/06, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am a big fan of XSLT, but it's not needed for putting a
> > human-friendly face on feeds. CSS can do it, e.g. see [1].
>
> Yes, but it's easier to work with if you use XSLT along with CSS. I
> don't see any problem with using XSLT, using something for a purpose
> its not designed for is only a problem if the technology doesn't suit
> what you need it for; in thise case XSLT does a superb job of styling
> feeds.

Agreed, but availability of XSLT (client side) will need to be
considered (see below).

> For those that are saying that the hook is the main problem, here's my
> reasons why something like this should be core:
>
> 1) feed: and plain XML is a usability hole.

Agreed.

> 2) What happens if two scripts try to output an <?xml-stylesheet ?>?
> Which XSLT transform template does the browser use?
> 3) Similarly with CSS, we could have declaration clashes.

A little digging didn't reveal much, but this (fairly old) post
suggests there are no real guarantees of what will happen client side:

However this does sound like the kind of thing that could happen
anywhere such a hook is provided. I'm not yet familiar with the WP
source, but for a hypothetical example, if there was a hook into the
inclusion of the HTML footer, then </html> could appear twice,
breaking the markup.

Cheers,
Danny.

--