[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Chris Meller chris at doesnthaveone.com
Fri Jan 27 02:06:49 GMT 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Robert Deaton wrote:

> And my original email was clearly a reply to the email that suggested
> that this be in the core. Like I said before, hooks are fine, but
> sticking stuff in the core is unneccessary.

My bad then. I skipped a few messages in between there and your snip
must have been misleading.

>> And before someone hurts me, I think there should be a configuration
>> option to turn on and off any native styling WP may decide to apply
>> to feeds in the future...
>
> The general methodology in WP for years has been to have as few
> options as possible, so even if styling got put in, there's a 1 in 10
> chance that an option would be put in.

Perhaps now would be a good time to change that attitude then?
Styling is obviously a somewhat well-wanted feature, and I can't see
not having an option to turn something that major off...

And to comment on someone else's mention of developing an entire
theme set based around feed styles, I really don't think that'd be a
major thing... It wouldn't need its own type of style, just let the
overall site theme handle the style -- and add a way to override it
with a plugin, perhaps?

Or just add the hooks that started all this and let independent
developers take it wherever they want to...

>> Did I miss something? When were we talking about aggregators? :)
>
> Right about...
>
> On 1/26/06, Scott johnson <fuzzygroup at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now if I was to put my commercial hat on I'd point out that
>> shipping XSL
>> with Wordpress which put in links to recommended aggregators is a
>> huge $$$
>> opportunity.  You don't think that Pluck, a company which raised
>> 8.5 meg in
>> venture money, got their link into FeedBurner for free did you?

I still don't see how we got from hooks for the rss feeds to paying
to advertise aggregators. Talk about tangents...

--
Chris Meller
chris at doesnthaveone.com