[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:49:51 GMT 2006

On 1/26/06, Jeff Minard <jeff at jrm.cc> wrote:
> Perhaps XSL was the wrong tech I was thinking of. Consider XSL-Stylesheets.
>
> The difference between this:
>   - http://www.petefreitag.com/rss/
>
> and this:
>   - http://jrm.cc/feed
>
> is a magnitude of two lines in the RSS feed and 665bytes in the stylesheet.
>
> Yet, for a technology with an adoption rate at a terribly low 11%[1][2]
> it'd be a useful UI enhancement that, if nothing else, would help to
> educate and evangelize the use of RSS instead of scaring off user when
> presented with:
>
>   - http://somethingunpredictable.com/feed/

This is exactly what I object to including. Syndication feeds are
meant to be fetched by a feed aggregator, read by the software, and
shown to the user, not displayed like a webpage in a browser. Hoever,
I hadn't thought of using XSL to show something like feedburner does
to browsers, that's a completely different story, and I'd much prefer
we display no content to the user and show them a message about how to
view RSS feeds in a reader than a syled list of my posts like belongs
on my webpage.

On that note, I'm completely against displaying paid advertisements
for any specific aggregator

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com