[wp-hackers] Forum: High query count

Chris Meller chris at doesnthaveone.com
Tue Jan 24 23:08:46 GMT 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Michel Valdrighi wrote:

> On 1/24/06, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:02 AM, David Chait wrote:
>>> BTW, Ryan, would be nice if the dashboard had in red letters "Your
>>> hosting setup doesn't support caching to disk!" -- no joke,
>
> That's risking hosts getting angry customers feedback like "they say
> they support WP but WP says the host is not OK!", so the message
> should make it clear that it's something the user could fix by
> herself.

Big red letters may be a bit much... I dislike software that inspires
panic with things like that which may or may not be a real issue.
Still, I think it should be mentioned somewhere. The "Alerts" (or
similar) tab on the Dashboard would keep it out of the way for people
who are aware there's a problem, yet still allow you to see what's
going on.

You could then include the ability to acknowledge or simply close an
alert (anyone used Veritas Backup Exec? I'm thinking along the lines
of their alerts here). After you acknowledge a respective error, it
never shows back up again, or simply suppresses any visible
notification and is confined to the special panel that displays that
information exclusively. That way, we could tell people there may be
something wrong on the Dashboard and point their attention to the
Alerts area so they could investigate before their entire site blows
up because their wp-content folder wasn't properly permissioned after
a server migration (grrrrr again).

>> It might be nice to throw up errors for other common problems such
>> as /wp-content/ not being writable.
>>

> It might be even nicer to take this idea further and define "server
> capabilities" flags, that could be used for dependency checking in
> plugins.
>
> After all, maybe I don't want to have wp-content writable.

We would certainly want some method for dismissing errors, because
there are a lot of situations in which this would come up -- if your
host runs in safe mode and there's no way for you to change it, you
don't want to get slapped with a big red error message every time you
load a page.

> But if I activate a plugin that needs it, it would be better if it got
> deactivated right away with a message telling me that it needs to be
> able to write to wp-content.
> All too often the reality is different: plugin tries to write, fails
> and spews an error, WP's output buffering makes the page blank, user
> is confused. By enabling plugins to prevent such failures, WP would
> become more solid to both plugin developers and users.

I like this idea, because you're right. A lot of plugin / theme
authors (myself included) don't do enough error checking -- it works
on all the setups they've tested just fine, but then again they don't
have PHP running in safe mode anywhere, so it barfs on some random
user somewhere and no one knows why. If the plugin could just list a
few requirements (we'd have to dumb them down, since I imagine a lot
of people wouldn't know what safe mode allows or prohibits -- myself
included again) and have WP check against them automagically when the
plugin is activated, it'd be great.

So, did a certain someone just volunteer to write this code for us? :)

--
Chris Meller
chris at doesnthaveone.com