[wp-hackers] Ditch RDF and RSS 0.92

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 22:51:52 GMT 2006

On 1/15/06, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I don't see why saying 'you need a plugin now' is an unacceptable
> solution. Things moving in and out of the core are natural. Some
> plugins are merged into the core, some core is moved out to plugins,
> as and when different parts of WordPress become more
> important/popular. We've done it before: things like Geo URLs were
> moved out of the core because noone used them. And it's not like it's
> a lot of trouble to install a plugin.

Yes, things moving out of the core are natural when, as you say,
"noone used them." Earlier replies on this thread indicate that this
case is otherwise.

I'm all for removing old junk, but isn't it customary to label
outdated features "deprecated" for a release or two rather than simply
ripping them out in a bugfix release? Especially when they're still in
use by a not-insigificant number of people.

Yes, let's keep WP current. All I want from you is a solution that
doesn't suddenly alienate people without warning and without need. If
it's as simple as adding a wp_rewrite rule for backwards
compatibility, great. If it means documenting "deprecated"
functionality in one release, then ripping it out unceremoniously in
the alpha stages of a later release, fine.

Andy