[wp-hackers] Comment Meta

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sun Jan 15 16:46:10 GMT 2006

_____/ On Sat 14 Jan 2006 16:21:24 GMT, [Owen Winkler] wrote : \_____
> Jeff Minard wrote:
>> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>>> This would obviously be a consideration for WP 2.1 or beyond, but
>>> how  do you all feel about comment meta data?
>>>
>>> In the same way that data can be attached to posts with Custom
>>> Fields, I've wanted to attach meta data to comments.
>>
>> +1 from me. Just today I ran across an instance when I thought,
>> "Gosh, I could use some comment meta data here. Oh well!"
>
> There is a request on the Geo plugin for attaching geographic
> coordinates to comments.  I'm not sure exactly where the data would
> originate from, but there isn't anywhere to store it if not in a
> commentmeta table.

When Mark pointed this out, the GeoComments plugin was the first to cross my
mind. A past discussion with Brian Lalor raised the issue of extending the
comments table. The following explained what he had initially implemented.

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-November/003213.html

<quote>
It looks like, in order to store the additional geographical
information about the comment, I will have to create my own table in
the DB.  Is this correct?  Is there any existing mechanism for
storing arbitrary data about a comment?

I'd say that's the first thing I'm struggling with.  Once I'm able to
store the content, enabling a Page or post with this capability will
be simply adding a custom field or checking a box when editing the
post.  I'll probably provide another PHP template that will provide
the comments as an XML file to be consumed by the mapping code.
<quote>

Final product is here:

http://bravo5.org/blog/2005/11/17/testing-the-geocomments-plugin/