[wp-hackers] Replacing instead of stripping umlauts

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:26:08 GMT 2006

A discussion came up today on #wordpress with a guy who blogs in
German. Umlauts are stripped from slugs, and he wants them replaced
instead of stripped completely. In German, it's acceptable to write a
vowel with an umlaut as [vowel]e, so ä -> ae, ö -> oe and so on. Could
we employ some code like this in remove_accents()?

The only problems I see are with other languages that use umlauts,
like skandinavian ones. I'm not sure what the rules are here for
rendering umlauts, but they're probably not the same as German.
--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net