[wp-hackers] Backup plugin and writability

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Jan 8 18:55:33 GMT 2006

Scott Merrill wrote:

>> 1. Why is it trying to writing anything to /var/www/cafe/?
>> /var/www/cafe/wp-content/backup-05ad9/ I understand, but /var/www/cafe
>> shouldn't need to be written.
>
> It's checking whether it can create the directory it needs.

Then why doesn't the message mention /var/www/cafe/wp-content instead of
/var/www/cafe ?

>> 2. Why isn't it using /usr/tmp for temporary files like a good Unix
>> program?
>
> WordPress is not a good UNIX program, it's a web-based application.  It
> might be running on Windows, in which case /usr/tmp is a bogus value.

Java has a platform independent means of finding the temporary files
directory and creating a temporary file. Does PHP? Even if it doesn't it
shouldn't be that hard to figure out if we're on Unix or Windows and
choose the temporary directory accordingly.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu