[wp-hackers] PhoneBlogz - blogging by phone, testers needed!

Ryan Prins rprins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:55:03 GMT 2006

> Has Flickr solved this problem with the way they allow 3rd parties to
> authenticate against their system?

Yes, they now use a secret, token/fob system for users to grant access to
programs on a program by program basis. So, if you decided that you didn't
want a specific application to use your credentials anymore, you can deny it
access. More information can be found:
http://www.flickr.com/services/api/misc.userauth.html

However, keep in mind that since flickr is a controlled service (e.g. it is
only ever in "one" location), they can afford to use the model that they
have in place. With distributed installations of wordpress (with the
exception being wordpress.com) other logistical alternatives might need to
be looked at since keeping all authentication on many different servers
provides just as many challenges, if not more, than just having it on only
one.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

On 1/6/06, Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com> wrote:

> C. Gardella wrote:
> > On 1/5/06, Matthew Butt <matt at preinvent.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I've recently setup http://www.phoneblogz.com.  This allows you to dial
> >>number (UK, US or VoIP) and leave a voice message which will get posted
> to a
> >>Wordpress site as an MP3 file.
> >>
> >>I'd appreciate it if you could give it a go - simply register an
> account,
> >>login, enter your Wordpress details and leave a message via the phone
> >>number.  More info is on the site.
>

> > Ok...sounded like an interesting idea. But you guys want my username
> > and password? You need to come up with an alternate way of publishing.
> > This will NEVER fly.
>
> Never say never... There are plenty of services that ask for similar
> info, and plenty of people who provide it.
>
> Has Flickr solved this problem with the way they allow 3rd parties to
> authenticate against their system?
>
> Pete

Ryan Prins
rprins at gmail.com