[wp-hackers] Can we do anything about PAGE SEACRH?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Jan 2 12:31:22 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 13:15 +0100, Peak Discharge wrote:
> Yeah, people have been asking for page/comment search functionality
> since before 1.2-ish. Yet the implementations never went any further
> than a buggy plugin.

That's because it's not as simple as asking.  There's actually a fair
amount to consider.  Posts and pages usually display differently.  Pages
can have custom templates.  How do you handle displaying the results of
a search that contains both posts and pages?  Or even just multiple
pages for that matter?  Some pages are designed to be displayed on their
own as a full page.  Slapping their content into a search results page
would not look good and in some cases would be useless.  Do we show page
titles only then?  What kind of API will be provided to template
authors?  Will there be separate arrays for comment, post, and page
search results?  Will there be separate API for iterating over each
loop?

Ryan