[wp-hackers] User Feedback and Testing

John Joseph Bachir jjb at ibiblio.org
Mon Jan 2 00:44:16 GMT 2006

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Owen Winkler wrote:

> Real products have development cycles, where development is broken into
> phases that allow for discussion of new feature requirements,
> development of planned new features, testing of those features, and
> providing documentation and support for those features upon release.

I've noticed that there isn't a bugfix release branch so that features can
cotinue to be added to the trunk. I think the wordpress development
process is in great shape, in terms of openness, and response to tickets
and patches. But a fundamental part of releasing a stable product is
having a separate bugfix-only branch for at least several weeks.

Not that I can remember glaring examples of features being added durinig
RC3 or RC2... maybe there were none. But I'm sure there were several in
the weeks before release. And the structure of the respository does not
encourage new features to be added by developers who might be wary of
creating new bugs.

I propose that a 2.01 (or whatever the next bugfix release will be called)
branch be created. Which I guess also means that I propose that a
bugfix-only version be released in about a month :)

John
--
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org