[wp-hackers] Wordpress 1.5 downloads

Aaron Brazell aaron at technosailor.com
Sun Jan 1 20:25:18 GMT 2006

> All I can say is I need to do more. In particular, I choose a category
> for almost every post. I almost never leave it as "Uncategorized". Now
> that's a two-step process.

It only needs to be a two-step process the first time. You expand the Categories menu, select the category, write the post. The next time, as long as you don't minimize the categories menu, it is still expanded and categories are immediately accessible. What's the problem?

> I also think the other options are well supported in 1.5.2. They're down
> below the main edit box where you can play with them if you like and
> easily ignore them if you don't. Now they're hidden. 1.5.2 has a nice
> design where the options are available but don't get in your way. now
> that they're not so available. It's minor, but it is a step backwards.

If anything, 2.0 keeps things out of the way and still easily accessible better than 1.5.x.

> I'm curious. Has any actual user testing been done on WordPress? In
> other words, has anyone put non-developer users in front of a WordPress
> system, asked them to perform tasks, and watched them to see how they
> do, and what confuses them? I suspect the results would be informative.
> There are some other problems I've noticed in the UI, but so far those
> are all common to 1.5 and 2.0.

Anybody can sign up for beta testing, downloading SVN updates, downloading nightlies. I've been using 1.6a since June. We probably do need to make it easier for people but we don't want people downloading nightlies and thinking they're going to get official support.  They are, after all, for testing and development.