[wp-hackers] Automatic Plugin Updater

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 23:38:14 GMT 2006

On 2/17/06, Dave Grijalva <grijalva at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
> their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox extension
> update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
> instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?

We've learned from the uploading and caching functions just how tricky
it can be to make directories and write files on some setups. Remember
that most people don't leave their plugins directory writable by the
server. Hunt down the people who had the worst troubles (see trac and
the wp-hackers and wp-testers archives) and ask them to test for you.

In the interest of making your work viable as a core feature, take
very good care with security and making it work on as many platforms
as possible.

Andy