[wp-hackers] post_status == previous

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Mon Feb 13 16:46:25 GMT 2006

David Chait wrote:
> Hmmm.  Interesting.  Revision tracking has been discussed before -- is
> storing delta-diffs (like subversion) overly difficult as part of the save
> process?  I know it's been a request previously... separate topic/thread?

Ahem, as long as we're at it...

   post_status = "previous"

Sort those old ones by last mod date (if we keep that...) and away you
go. Making a diff on the fly to show changes would work. Storing the
difference would work to I suppose, but seems a little odd to me -- I'd
rather have the actual content in the "previous" version.

Of course, this kind of manipulation would:

1) Not be needed in the core -- how many people need revisioning?
Honestly? I can see it being useful for a select few people (like us
power users) who do it once, but for most "blog and go" users it would
simply add cruft and one more thing to take up attention on an already
bulging post page.

2) Totally screw up the post id counts.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that throughout these threads we
haven't heard (or I haven't read) the "post id's on my blog must be one
after the other" nuts going ape wild about what a post_status
free-for-all flag is going to do to their preciously cultivated table.

Jeff