[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:52:18 GMT 2006

On 2/11/06, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/06, Joey B <tunicwriter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's not a lot a plugin author can do during the beta phase since
> > things are bound to change, and whatever work is accomplished will
> > more than likely be undone by time the final product is released.
>
> Completely wrong. In the late beta/RC stages, we shouldn't be making
> big changes to the code. We should basically be in feature freeze and
> API freeze, so no changes will be made that will break plugins.

What should happen and what does happen are far from similar. In fact,
I do remember with the releases prior to 2.0, during the "feature
freeze" time there was a big argument because new features were
committed. 2.0 never even had a formal feature freeze period, so I
think he has a valid point. We need to formalize this, get a real
feature freeze or at least API freeze period to give plugin authors a
chance to adapt.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com