[wp-hackers] post_status and post_type

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 15:43:38 GMT 2006

I can give a personal opinion on why I'd prefer it as-is.  While enums may
be faster, varchars are extensible on-the-fly (i.e. plugins).  It was a pain
when I found comment tagging as an enum with ('0','1','spam') -- which means
my anti-spam plugin can't use the existing moderation field for tagging
'potential spam' in grades without a secondary table.  Maybe I might come up
with a plugin that manages a new post type, new content type.  I find
varchars useful for more open expansion, while enums are good if you really
have a fixed field and want the code and db to be more readable ('string'
rathing than 'index').  Of course, varchars are just as readable. ;)  It's
that an index field (say 1-3) is less readable than an enum
('do','re','mi').

I would assume by the nature of an enum it should be faster -- there is
still some kind of conversion going on matching input in a query to the enum
'slots' and converting to the corresponding index then doing the
select/insert, versus no conversion just a string select/insert.  If it's
really a numeric field under the covers, should be somewhat faster -- though
string compares on exact matches can be pretty fast (4 chars at a time on a
32-bit system, assuming no hash or anything to further accelerate).

Anyhow, I'd like to see more things pop out of enums unless critically
needed to prevent coding errors (which could also be done by defining an
array of possible values in the code, and allowing plugins to 'add'
potential values to match, then doing a sanity-compare against the array as
needed... slower, but infinitely extensible without changing the DB schema).

-d