[wp-hackers] post_status and post_type

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Feb 9 10:45:14 GMT 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 5:21 AM, Ryan Boren wrote:

> Would be nice.  I haven't looked at any of the pseudo cron
> implementations that were suggested?  Any preferences?  Want to
> work up a patch?

My thoughts (many of which are not original... just condensing):

* Specificity of fewer than 5 minutes might be overkill
* Create wp-cron.php?key=[uniquemd5] so power users with real cron
can set it to wget that file so that pseudo cron is never fired on a
user-requested load
* Hooks for arbitrary time increments would be cool.
"every_X_minutes" ... "every_X_hours" ... "every_X_days"
* WordPress would use it to
	# publish "future" posts
	# do periodic (weekly?) cleanup operations like:
		+ Recalculate category/comment/post counts that may be off because
of plugins not using the API
		+ Perform misc checks for problems, and notify the admin
	# clean out old "spam" comments
	# check for plugin/WP updates
	# download Dashboard feeds
	# send pings/trackbacks for future posts when they are published

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/